1. Go on a snowshoe or hiking excursion
There are plenty of excellent snowshoeing and hiking trails local to Barrie. Pack a thermos of hot chocolate (or coffee) and make a day of it! You could also pack a charcuterie board to snack on when you reach one of the viewpoint on the trail. Don’t forget to pack a blanket to sit on as it’s not advisable to use public benches or picnic tables.
Local shops for cheese and meat selections:
2. Order Takeout from a Local Restaurant to enjoy at home
It’s a really great idea to support local now, more than ever. Businesses need our support to make it through another tough year of restrictions. Show some local love by ordering a fancy meal to-go
Local restaurants perfect for Valentines Day:
- Ill Buco
- Urban Dish Grill and Wine Bar
- Micheal and Marion
- Crazy Fox Bistro
- Groovy Tuesday’s Bistro
- Casa Mia Restaurant
Note – Call ahead to verify availability and takeout options
3. Take a virtual painting class
It’s always fun to try something new, or return to an old favourite. Grab some paints, a canvas (or another item to paint) and join a virtual painting class. There are a ton of free resources available on Youtube you can follow along, or you can sign-up for a guided class via Zoom with a professional who can guide you step by step.
Take Home or Virtual Paint Classes available this Valentines
- The Creative Café – Ceramic Painting (Info here)
- Some Fine Art (tickets here)
- Yay Maker (event options here)
4. Make a Scrapbook of your Relationship
Pick up or order the supplies ahead of time and create a scrapbook of your relationship. You’ll have a fun time together reflecting on all your great memories, things you enjoy doing together as a couple, and even setting goals for the future. Order some photo ahead of time to add to your book, you can do so using online services that will ship directly to your door.
Essential scrapbook supplies:
- An album
- Fun papers / card stock
- Pens / Markers
- Scissors and Glue (or double sided tape)
- Printed photos of yourselves
- Fun Stickers
- Hole Punch
5. Cook Dinner together
Spend some time in the kitchen together this Valentines Day. Choose a recipe ahead of time and make sure you have all the ingredients ready and prepped. There is nothing more satisfying, and rewarding then preparing your own delicious meal as a team.
Ideas for Valentines Meals
- Shrimp Linguini
- Classic Steak, potatoes + roasted the Veggies
- Vodka Cream Pasta
- Red Wine Risotto with Peas
- White Wine Pork Chops with Broccoli
6. Make a blanket fort and watch a movie a romantic movie
As cheesy as this one may sound, it’s a fun one! Gather up all your cozy blankets, take apart your couch (for the cushions of course), and snuggle up in your fort while watching a romantic movie!
Classic Romantic Movies on Netflix
- The Lucky One, staring Zac Efron
- Dear John, staring Channing Tatum
- The Notebook, staring Ryan Gosling
- PS I love you, staring Hilary Swank
- La La Land, starring Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone
- Eat Pray Love, starring Julia Roberts
7. Bundle up in the backyard / balcony
Just because it’s cold outside, doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy it! Grab some blankets, chairs, and bundle up outside. If you have a backyard, consider making a fire and roasting marsh mellows. Look up to the sky and stargaze while you’re at it!